Friday, January 7, 2011

The Gift of Memories

 Recently I shared with you about the loss of our friends, George and Florence Webb.  George was the Pastor that married us in 1978.  In 1979 our church celebrated the Webb's anniversary with a hand made quilt.  Each of the families at church embroidered a quilt block with their name on it.  Because they didn't have children, George's nephew asked if we would like to inherit this quilt.  We were thrilled!  So many memories!  I believe my grandma had a part in the actual putting together and/or quilting.  She had just retired and was doing a lot of quilting at the time.
 This block is my husband's parents and youngest brother.
 This is my aunt and her 2 children.
 This is grandma's block and I love the fact that it is her handwriting!
 This is us!  Young, just married, before children and oh so in love!
The quilt is huge!  It is a generous king size!  We are so excited to have this special gift.  Lots of memories come back as we read all the names from our past......

5 comments:

katlupe said...

Marlene, what an awesome quilt and memory! It looks beautiful on your bed too.

Jany said...

sweet friend, I think this is one of the coolest stories I've heard in a long time (and I read a lot of scrapbook pages from around the world!! :)). I think it's amazing that you have so many family members who contributed to this quilt; but even more amazing to me is that Mr. Webb's nephew was aware enough to know that you might like the quilt, care for it, and treasure it (instead of garage sale-ing it!!). This is... awesome ;)

laughwithusblog said...

What a treasure!

Unknown said...

A Beautiful gift,happy memories and it looks great on that bed :))

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene! Stopped by to say hello. So miss the blogging world. Must find a new hobby...or develop a new blog! :)