Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Baby Burp Cloths

22 years ago when I had my first baby we didn't have any burp cloths.  My mom was visiting at the time and purchased a dozen cloth diapers (the flat kind), folded them in thirds and stitched them down.  They were the best!  Soft, absorbent, bleachable, durable.  They lasted through both of my girls!  I recently found a tutorial (here) on "Make and Takes" for decorating burp cloths. Easy to make and so cute!  I am headed to a baby shower this weekend and decided to make a set. 
I purchased the diapers that are thicker in the middle. 
This baby is going to be a girl so I got lots of girly ribbon. 
Pin the trim onto the diapers. Stitch it down.  Simple sewing at it's easiest!
I love the idea of having something pretty to use for such an icky job! 
One side note:  You'll notice I used satin ribbon to bind the edges of these.  In the original tutorial she used bias tape.  Unfortunately bias tape is not available in my town since Wal-Mart got rid of their fabric department.  The satin feels wonderful but because it likes to slip and slide, I ended up stitching it on by hand. 

8 comments:

Paula & Skip said...

Marlene, it looks so beautiful even when I have no idea what burp cloth are!

Janie Fox said...

Cute. My daughter Annie is making these too.

Holly said...

I love these! We REALLY used the ones you sent for Bradie. You make such quality stuff, they still look great even though they were washed a million times!

The Zany Housewife said...

So cute! Now the question is...what do you do with burp cloths bought and never used? I seem to have a plethora of them...

PythonKatie said...

Those are super cute!!!

laughwithusblog said...

One lucky mama is going to get these!

Bev said...

Cloth diapers make the best burp cloths. They were the only thing I used with my kids - But I never thought about sprucing them up with ribbon. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Our little one spits up more than we like but these are the best for both baby and parents!