Thursday, March 31, 2011

Graduation Tutorial - Cupcake Picks

Decorated cupcakes are all the rage these days.  You can find a lot of cupcake picks to purchase online, print and cut yourself.  That is a fine option BUT they really are fun to make on your own!  Here is a tutorial for the graduation picks I am working on.
You will need a couple of craft punches.  My favorite brand is EK Success!  I do a lot of projects in large quantities and I learned the hard way that not all punches hold up over the long haul.  For this project I used the 2 inch scallop and 1.5 inch round punches.
I punched 2 pink scallops and 1 round polka-dot.  I cut out the grad cap using my Cuttlebug.  You could substitue a sticker or another round punch for the grad cap.  You will also need one mini brad and a pick.  The picks I used are a little larger than a toothpick.  I found them in the craft section. 
For this project I used double stick tape as my adhesive instead of using my sticker maker.  Wanted you to see both options.  I usually just do an "X" of tape on the back of the round and then stick it onto the pink scallop.

Once your polka dots are on there, turn the scallop over and double stick tape the back.  I use more tape for this side.  Usually 3 pieces.  Also fold a piece of tape over the top of your pick and then place it on the scallop.

Line up your other scallop and sandwich the pick between the 2.  Make sure it's stuck good.
Poke a miniature brad into the top of your grad cap.  You can go ahead and bend out the legs of the brad on the back.  This is just for decoration.

Next, cover your grad cap with double stick tape. 

Stick the grad cap to the blank scallop.

I think these will be really cute at our graduation party! 

6 comments:

katlupe said...

They are so cute! I don't do any crafts anymore but used to be really into it. You are really a dedicated crafter!

Lori said...

Those are so adorable! Is your daughter graduating HS this year? My oldest is graduating in May.

Suzanne said...

I love it! Those are going to look amazing! :)

Paula & Skip said...

Marlene, these are simply GREAT. Love them. Makes me want to graduate one more time.

Karen said...

You have so many cute ideas ,,, wow

Robin said...

Ridiculously cute!! Love them!!!